Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have a person that continues to harass me thru FB messages

Customer Question

I have a person that continues to harass me thru FB messages after I have asked them to stop.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This person was part of a hire a hacker, directing him to me because she thought I was a fake profile. The hacker is currently under indictment for another case in Kntucky.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

. . . but first

what is the nature of the harassment? Are you being threatened? Have you ever met the person harassing you and do you know where he or she really is? Are you all in North Carolina?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

In North Carolina, repeated harassment makes out stalking under section 14-277.3A of your Penal code. You can see the definition of harassment here. It's a class A1 misdemeanor.

As this is happening on Facebook, it can also be prosecuted as cyberstalking. Cyberstalking is a class 2 misdemeanor. You can see the law as to this here.

So the way to proceed is to report this as a crime to the police. If the state goes forward, you will get a restraining order in your favor and any further harassment by this person can get him rearrested not just on new charges but for violating the order, which is a separate offense.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.