Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Thank you, i got caught stealing 5 items under $30 at

Customer Question

thank you, ***** ***** caught stealing 5 items under $30 at walmart which i paid for and they wrote me up and that was the end of it! and then 1month later i recieved a letter from Walmarts attorney demanding that i pay them $250 to The Law Offices of Michael Ira Asen and i called to tell them i don't have the money to pay them i'm out of work now for 8mths!
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: las vegas, nv
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No the security at the store said because the items were under $30 they're was nothing filed with the police!
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes they want the money by the 11/6/16
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who-can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you asking if they can charge you the fee?

.

Or if they can still file a criminal charge?

.

Or something else?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
asking for help how and why are they still charging me a fee of $250?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no i can't afford it and i've already been charged and i still don't have an answer...
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Ok, this called a "civil demand letter" and is allowed under the law to compensate the merchant for any costs or labor that they may have incurred due to the incident.

.

This is just a demand, and you don't have to pay it since they don't have a judgment against you. But the problem is that if you don't, they could then file a formal criminal complaint with the police for the shoplifting since the statute of limitations is up to a year..

.

So you can ignore them, but you run the risk of this turning into a criminal charge..

.

So if it were me or a client of mine, I would suggest that they just pay it rather than risk them getting vindictive and filing a criminal charge that would then have to be resolved. Any time someone can pay money to avoid a criminal charge, I would opine that is a good trade..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience,even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks