Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

We need to evict our tenant as well as collect back rent and

Customer Question

We need to evict our tenant as well as collect back rent and money she owes for groceries, moving costs, and sundry items. Where do we start?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Tucson, AZ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no. we don't really know where to start. We are meeting today to talk things over but I am worried that she will skip out if it's not a binding agreement
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: where do I loook for your answers?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's the basics. thanks
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Have you given the tenant any written notice to pay or vacate?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Ok, have you given the tenant a 5 day written notice to pay rent or vacate?

.

That is how you start...with the 5 day notice.. don't include anything but rent because all the other things you will have to pursue in a small claims court action... only rent goes on the 5 day.

.

Then if they don't pay within that 5 day period, start counting the day after delivery, you can file a formal eviction action in court to get a judgment and a writ that the sheriff will execute to force the person to move out with their property. It will normally take 3-4 weeks, depending on the court's and sheriff's schedules after you file for eviction before you can put them out..

.

.

thanks