How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 113491
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was bonded through the contractor state license board

Customer Question

I was bonded through the contractor state license board California and the bond paid out to a client the contractors State license Board took me to court
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: I was bonded through the contractor state license board of California and the bond paid out to a client the contractor state license board claims they serve me which I never was served it went to court the judgment went to them since I wasn't there for more than the original amount I am not disputing the original amount do I have any options
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes it has been reported it is on my credit report as a judgment that I/O
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The original amount of the bond was 12,500 it is up to almost 18,000 now because of interest is it possible that I could Force them to except the original amount
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you can prove you were never served notice of the judgment, then you can seek them to waive the interest and penalties and negotiate settlement with them. The bot***** *****ne is the state of CA is broke and needs money, so if you are able to offer them lump sum payment in most all cases they will agree to a settlement of the debt rather than to collect payments for a long time which costs them wages to employees to spend time accounting for those payments. So, legally you owe the full amount, but you can negotiate a settlement for lump sum payment with them.