Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a question about international moving. I will have

Customer Question

I have a question about international moving. I will have one Liftvan of household goods shipped to the US. When it arrives at the port, what steps do I have to go through to pick up the goods using a rental truck? Do I go to the shipping company to pick up the stuff? What about Customs? Will there be a place to unpack the lift van an put the things in the truck? The port will be Charleston.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You may import furniture, dishes, linens, libraries, artwork and similar household furnishings for your personal use free of duty. To be eligible for duty-free exemption, the articles must have either been available for your use or used in a household where you were a resident for one year. Once they are shipped to the US they must be cleared through Customs and Border Patrol, unless you have made arrangements with a foreign freight forwarder to have your effects sent in CBP custody in-bond from the port of arrival to a more convenient port of entry for clearance. Customs does not notify you of arrival of your goods, you have to get your shipper to notify you and you have 15 days to claim your goods and go through Customs.
There will be a place for you to pick up the goods and if you are using a freight shipper who clears the customs for you, then you can typically pick up the goods from the shipper at their location and they will have a place to load.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thank you for your answer!