Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

An employee just quit Tuesday and walked out. He owes us a

Customer Question

An employee just quit Tuesday and walked out. He owes us a debt, which
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: he has refused to pay. He signed a statement that he would pay the debt before he would leave us, not remove 3 vehicles that he brought in that are on our lot until we are paid, and give us 2 weeks notice when he decides to leave. He did none of the above. What are our rights? We are in PA.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately, you can not legally withhold money from the final paycheck. Only tax withholding and certain limited obligations may legally withheld from a paycheck.

Your remedy is to sue the ex employee for breach of contract and obtain a money judgement. Once you have a judgment you can attach and levy his assets or garnich his accounts until the judgment is paid.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Did you have further questions? Have i answered your question?