KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I have emergency temporary guardianship of my minor

Customer Question

I have emergency temporary guardianship of my minor grandchildren, there is an upcoming hearing. The paperwork states that it is my responsibility to "serve" the parents with a copy of the order and information on the upcoming hearing. Does this mean by a process server or may I do this via registered or certified mail?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Oklahoma
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The emergency guardianship was granted and filed, unsure what you mean by reported
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just may I do this through the mail or do they have to be "served" by a process server or in person
JA: I'm the lawyer's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Thank You very much
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just need to know if I may legally get them the paperwork through certified mail or if it must be "served" in person
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 6 months ago.

Ok. I will answer in a moment.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Under Oklahoma law, you as the petitioner must serve notice of the action on the then-living parents of the child or other person who has custody by personal service, by a sheriff or a licensed process server. If there are no living parents, then you must serve the grandparents or nearest relative by mail at least 10 days prior to the hearing date. Also, if the child has attained the age of 14, then notice must be served personally to the child as well.

You must also mail the notice to the parents and child’s last-known address at least 10 days prior to the hearing date. Its better to do this certified. You should read the order of the judge to see if special service was indicated, other than the service listed above. If you are unsure, it is advisable to contact the guardianship court to determine the preferred method of service.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 6 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just ask.