Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

Just had my annual review and was trashed by my supervisor,

Customer Question

just had my annual review and was trashed by my supervisor, cost me my raise and bonus. We have a new branch manager coming in and my supervisor said she won't let her prejudices influence the new manager. It's clear her prejudices influenced my review. Because of her review I'm not able to apply for any other position in the company for 6 months. do I have any recourse?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, I spoke with HR and covered everything. I also know she was contacted by HR and received coaching on not to say that.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is not the 1st time her actions have caused me issues. She also wrote me up a year ago based on false info, which I provided proff
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 month ago.

If you can demonstrate that what your supervisor is saying about you is false, then you can sue her for defamation because it is affecting your reputation and income.

To successfully sue your supervisor for defamation you need to prove she made false, injurious, published statements about you and that she lacked any "privilege" protecting her statements.

As you lost out on a bonus and others saw your review, you likely can meet the injurious and published criteria. The issue you may have most trouble with is that your supervisor's review might not constitute defamation because they're opinion-based and it's difficult to prove opinions are false.