Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Miss. I have a question about inmate information being

Customer Question

Hi miss Wilson. I have a question about inmate information being posted on a site such as mugshots.com. can you help me?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Apparently an arrest record from over 16 years ago, has appeared online before a trial I was involved in. I imagine in order to defame my husband who testified.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just wondering if I can find out who did it and what my recourse would be.....
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 29 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Posting of mug shots or other information from the public records is not unlawful, because the information is all available through the public police and court records. Anything that is available in public records may be published. There are some services like http://www.reputationdefender.com, that can go search the web and seek to get websites to remove the information, but these sites like mugshots search public records regularly to obtain their data and when they find something in public records they can publish it online and there is no legal right to privacy of the person whose mugshot or criminal history or public information is published.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.