Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Does. Cps have right to talk to my kids. At. School.

Customer Question

Does. Cps have right to talk to my kids. At. School. Without. My premission and what can i di if school allows it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is a commonly asked question and surprisingly most parents do not understand how the law works. CPS, law enforcement and school officials as well have the right to talk to any child without the consent of the parents or the notification of the parents. CPS is tasked at investigating abuse and they have the right to interview children without parental involvement to determine validity of any allegations without parental interference. A child has an absolute right to refuse to speak to CPS, but legally the parent does not have a right to forbid the interview and there is no legal right for the parent to even be notified that CPS is going to speak to the child. The school has to allow the police or CPS to interview students at school if requested and cannot refuse.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.