Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

Have a living trust. Have copiese however cannnot find the

Customer Question

Have a living trust. Have copiese however cannnot find the original. How do I get certified that the copy is the original
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, I am older and I want to certify that I am competant and of sound mind due to making some recent changes to will and beneficiaries. Want to make sure that cannot be contested due to someone claiming incompentance or undue infulence
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. Thank you for your patience as I review your question.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

You would only need to provide a Certification of Trust. See the following link for the statute which provides the instructions for creating and executing the certification:

Certification of Trust (NC)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
THANKS, I am older and I want to certify that I am competant and of sound mind due to making some recent changes to will and beneficiaries. Want to make sure that cannot be contested due to someone claiming incompentance or undue infulence
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

If you would like to speak you need to make a request by clicking a button on the page that says Call Me

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Are you still online with me? Did you have further questions?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

I attempted to accept your phone call request and received the following message:
"Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation."

If you can resolve the problem (it is usually a matter of confirming with your bank or credit card that the charge is authorized) I look forward to speaking with you.

Otherwise, I am happy to continue online with you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am older and I want to certify that I am competant and of sound mind due to making some recent changes to will and beneficiaries. Want to make sure that cannot be contested due to someone claiming incompentance or undue infulence
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

There is a presumption that you are competent. In other words, the burden of proof is not on you to prove you are competent, it is on the challenger to prove you are not.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

There is no way to assure that a will or trust is not challenged, as it is the right of anyone to access a court and make a good-faith claim. I suppose your best defense is to have a check-up around the same time as the trust is certified or the will is executed. That way there will be a contemporaneous written medical record which can be entered as evidence in the event of a challenge.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
THANKS - But what can be done now to ensure that when I am gone that will/trust and changes to beneficiaries cannot be contested on grounds of compentance or undue influence. No doubt it will probably happen and Want to make sure I have left in place things to mitigate
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
THANKS - is there and document that I can have the physician sign. Also would this also be protection against someone say that I was unduly influenced
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

As I said, there is no way to cut off the right to challenge. Access to courts is a basic right. You can have a check up and ask for an affidavit or letter from the doctor that you are not acting under diminished mental capacity or suffering from mental illness. Attach it to the trust or will.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
THANKS - Is there a standard form for affidavit or letter from the doctor that you are not acting under diminished mental capacity or suffering from mental illness that you know of
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

No, there is no standard form. The doctor would just prepare a short letter stating what I said. The doctor should know what to write.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No further
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!