Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

CAN A JUDGEMENT BE EXPUNGED IF THE BUSINESS ORIGINATING THE

Customer Question

CAN A JUDGEMENT BE EXPUNGED IF THE BUSINESS ORIGINATING THE JUDGEMENT HAS CLOSED.
THIS JUDGEMENT ON FILE HAS PREVENTED ME FROM REFINANCING MY HOUSE.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

No, a civil judgment cannot be expunged --- only criminal convictions may apply for expungement.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

The only way to get rid of a civil judgment is to pay it off, file bankruptcy and have the debt discharged or wait until the statute of limitations has expired on the judgment.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

The statute of limitations for a judgment is 10 years in South Carolina.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

DOES THE JUDGEMENT JUST DISAPPEAR AFTER 10 YEARS OR DO I HAVE TO REQUEST IT BE ERASED?

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

If the creditor doesn't renew the debt, it will expire and be uncollectible. However, the judgment will never be erased --- it will just be uncollectible.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

However, the creditor could ask to renew the debt for another 10 years, but it doesn't often happen.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

WILL I BE ABLE TO REFINANCE MY HOUSE AT THAT TIME OR WILL THERE STILL BE EVIDENCE OF THE JUDGEMENT TO BLOCK IT EVEN AFTER THE 10 YEARS AND THE BUSINESS THAT INITIATED IT CLOSED LONG AGO.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

If the judgment is uncollectible, it should not be an impediment to you obtaining financing.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.