LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I am a landlord, my condo assoc has a no dog policy, I have

Customer Question

I am a landlord, my condo assoc has a no dog policy, I have a no pet policy. My tenant is asking for a friend to visit with a "companion dog". do I have to allow this?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Washington state, ( Steilacoom)
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No , she just asked me last nght
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I wanted to let you know that I am reviewing your question right now. Please give me a few minutes to either ask clarifying questions of you, or 10 to 15 minutes to prepare an answer and get it posted to you. Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

In the state of WA, comfort animals have no specific rights. Working animals have the right to go into public places and into the personal homes of people who invite them in---but comfort animals do not have to be granted the same leeway.

A service animal is defined by statute as an animal that has had special training, whereas most comfort animal have had no specialized training. If there has been no specialized training, then they are not a service animal under WA law, and you can prohibit them from your property as a landlord.

Here is a link to the law: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=49.60.218

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug