Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My wife has polar issues and I need legal help to get her

Customer Question

my wife has bi polar issues and I need legal help to get her medicated.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: nothing as I am under a lot of stress , her bipolar is not getting better she refuses to take medication
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

If a person suffering from a psychiatric disorder is refusing to take their medication you move for an involuntary commitment if she is a danger to herself or others. http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/illinois

Are you looking for information on how this process works?

I understand the stress. I have handled commitments for the State and this is one of the most stressful and difficult areas of law. Which county are you located in? Are you with me? Are you going to respond to my question?

Do you still need assistance or do you want a refund?

Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 4 months ago.

New Expert here.

Have you spoken with her psychiatrist? I know from personal experience that it can take years to find a medication or combination of medications that will alleviate the mood swings. Filing for a conservatorship is pretty much guaranteed to anger her. A competent adult has the right to refuse medical treatment, and just the diagnosis of bipolar disorder does not necessarily mean she is incompetent.

Has she told you why she will not take her current medications? Do you know which one(s) she is supposed to be taking?