Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Brother living here for 3 years hasnt paid a dime, new york,

Customer Question

brother living here for 3 years hasnt paid a dime
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: new york
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i dont think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

When your brother moved in, did you have any sort of agreement that he would pay you?

Also, are you in New York City? The laws are a little different in NYC than the rest of the state.

Did you still need help with this?

You can serve your brother with a notice to terminate tenancy, explaining that he needs to move out. And then, if he doesn't leave when the notice is up, you can go to court the next day to have him evicted. I was asking where you live because the notice requirements differ - it's one month's notice in most of the state, but 30 days notice in New York City. Note that these requirements apply even if you don't have a written lease, and even if he never agreed to pay rent.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 27 days ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?