Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was naturalized a few months ago and changed my name as

Customer Question

I was naturalized a few months ago and changed my name as part of the process. The naturalization document was fine, but the name change document had the wrong middle name under my original name -- i.e., my new name was correct, but when they showed my old name pre-change, it showed a middle name that did not correspond to the IDs I had used in the past (i.e. drivers license, green card etc). When I moved to a new state, I had trouble getting a new driver license -- in the end I got it, but took some convincing and I had to show up with essentially every ID I have ever had in my life. Now that I have a new driver's license that correspond to my passport and naturalization document, maybe I won't encounter the same issues next time -- that said, I would like to get your advice as to whether I should have my name change document corrected. I am assuming that getting such a change done will not be straightforward since nothing involving government documents ever is. Is it worth the pain? How should I go about it?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have to contact Immigration with your file number of your naturalization and you need to go in and schedule an appointment in the local office to bring in your proof as this is the fastest way. Call the local immigration office tell them there is a mistake on your naturalization documents with your original name and you need to come in to do a correction. That is the fastest and simplest way.