TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My dad has been working for the same company over 29 years

Customer Question

hi yes ..
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: My dad has been working for the same company over 29 years he drives heavy machinery has all licenses etc... As part of his pay the oener of the company gave him the land where he currently lives my dad opened services etc.. after 20 years the owner died and now the new owner gave him a 30 day to vacate the land. He lives in NM but the company is in TX can he fight for the land ?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: part of his job was to take care of the property give trespass notices during weekends nights holidays. He never got paid extra that was what the land was for. Is this legal?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

I'm a little confused by the facts. You say that your father was given the land. If so, then he has a deed. Why would the new owner of the company tell him to vacate?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was given to him but never recorded because the owner feared my dad would quit once he did it legally there is witnesses tho my dad is. Not the only one
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Hi again.I won't lie ... Your dad has an uphill battle. Land is transferred via a deed. Without a deed, your father is not the owner. That leaves him with an argument that the property is supposed to be his, even though it's not. But agreements pertaining to the transfer of land almost always have to be in writing precisely to prevent issues like this. That alone may be reason for a judge to refuse to accept your father's arguments even if he has witnesses. Your father can argue, however, that he already did what was required of him in the agreement, and so it would be unjust to not transfer the property. He really needs a lawyer to make these arguments. It's not a small claims court type of case. He must have lots of legal research and an expert to make his arguments. Accordingly, my suggestion is to retain a lawyer immediately.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank u
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Please let me know if you need further clarification, and please remember to provide positive feedback via the stars. Thank you.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 12 days ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.