Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

As I was pulling into a parking space in a crowed compact

Customer Question

As I was pulling into a parking space in a crowed compact parking lot, damaged the paint on the side view mirror of a Ferrari that was parked next to the space I was pulling into. The owner has emailed me an invoice for $5400 to repair. I need legal advice.
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?
Customer: GA. I can find out who owns the lot. It is a retail and restaurant parking lot in Atlanta
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no, not that I am aware of.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Can you share with me exactly what your concern and question is? How did he email you? Have you asked to see a bill/estimate for the repairs?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The owner's son was the one using the car when the incident happened in the parking lot. He was waiting for me when I walked back to my car and showed me the damage to the paint on his side view mirror. He asked for my contact info and also wrote down my GA drivers' License info. Later, the owner texted me and asked for my email. I never agreed to anything. But texted him that I was sorry the incident happened. That it was a very tight parking lot.

Thank you. At this time, you have to decide if you want to pay him or force him to go after you and file a report with the police or try and sue you, for the cost of repairs. I know it was an accident but there still is an obligation to pay for repairs, if you caused the damage to be done. His demand does not obligate you to pay, so you need to decide on how you want to proceed. If you ignore him, he may then try and sue you for the cost. You provided your contact information, so there is no basis for them to try and claim this was a hit and run and you left the scene, so even if they called the police, it would be a civil matter

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!