Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have changed my name and used it without having the

Customer Question

I have changed my name and used it without having the officially name change.
My old name is *********** and the new name is *******.
I need the officially name changed certificate now.
What should I do?
Thanks
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Someone in your situation has to formally change your name to the version of your name that you have been unofficially using. See HERE for step by step instructions and forms.

Once your name is ***** ***** to be change to Jina Lim, then the court order backs up your unofficial change and makes it official. You can also use the court order to formally change your name on every record such as Social Security and DMV.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.