Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

Party enters a corporate safe deposite box after owner dies

Customer Question

party enters a corporate safe deposite box after owner dies and when does one inherit assets from death..is it the date of death or later
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a iicensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

A person inherits property when the estatet goes through some form of probate, a representative is appointed and they convey the property from the estate to the heir, beneficiary or legatee.

With a safe deposit box, a bank would not let a stranger access it unless the paperwork provided for a right of survivorship. In the case of survivorship the asset title transfers automatically at the time of death.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 30 days ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!