KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I HAVE BEEN SCAMED BY A APP DEVELOPMENT COMPANY TO THE TUNE

Customer Question

I HAVE BEEN SCAMED BY A APP DEVELOPMENT COMPANY TO THE TUNE OF $10000. AND I HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT AND THEY DO NOT RESPOND
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: THEY HAVE OFFICES IN GEORGIA AND FLORIDA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. What state are you located?

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

Did you sign a contract?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mass. I have to look about contract
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.
If you have a contract you need to check the contract for an arbitration clause.In Massachusetts you can file a small claim court action for up to $7,0000.00. But sometimes it is better to consider negotiation and mediation as alternatives.Remember, litigation – even in small claims court, where procedures are relatively easy – is time-consuming and stressful.If you can negotiate a deal with the App Developer without proceeding to court, you will both likely be better off.If you tried to negotiate already and it wasn't effective, try writing a demand letter.A formal demand letter tends to be taken more gravely than oral complaint, or emails, especially if you note that you are “reserving all legal rights should a resolution not be worked out.” Letters can later be used as evidence that you did your best to avoid going to court, and gave them a reasonable chance to comply with the contract rather than burden the court system. (This will carry weight in court -- judges don't favor people who rush to litigation.)Finally, consider mediation. Massachusetts has long been a court based mediation system after you file in SCC. Afterfiling your lawsuit, the court will encourage you to use no-cost mediators. These are trained individuals, typically attorneys, who will sit down with you and your contractor to attempt to work out a settlement. These settlements can be more creative than the result from a trial, where the judge will generally only award (or not award) money to the plaintiff. Mediators are neutrals, meaning they have no authority over the outcome; they can instead facilitate the conversation and jump-start a stalled negotiation.I hope this helps. Please rate the question for credit so that I will be compensated for assisting you. You can ask followup questions after for no additional fee.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

if you have any follow up questions, please just ask.