LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I live in Kentucky and I need to leave with my kids and get

Customer Question

I live in Kentucky and I need to leave with my kids and get away from my husband. He obsessively argues with me all day long at work and I'm fed up I its not healthy and I need to go now. problem is we lease a car and it's in his name only. I pay for it. It's my only transporation and I know if I leave with it he will try to take it or sabotage it. Do I have any rights there or what should I do?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Did you get my question?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I just have to get away from this situation with the kids and need to have advice so I can still get to work and kids to school
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Kentucky
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Just to be clear, you will remain in the county but just want to know about the issue with the car?

Are you insured on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will remain in Kentucky, The car is a new lease in my husbands name. It is my only transportation, I pay the payments but if I leave I know he will try to take the car.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I have a right to the car?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am listed as an insured but he has already threatned me that he will take me off if I leave

If the car was leased during the marriage, it would be a martial asset and something you have a right to. The fact that it is solely in his name, does not prevent you from using it, since it was leased and used for the benefit of both parties. Since you are insured, there is nothing wrong with taking and using the vehicle. If you only have one car, I do understand why he would be upset, if he is left with no transportation but if you need to leave to protect yourself and your children, you have a right to do so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has his own truck. He has transportation. But if I leave and he tries to take the car should I just call police?

Yes, if he gets physical, you should call the police. He can be arrested and charged with domestic violence.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He will probably sabotage the car . He has done it before.

If you have concerns, you can either try and leave when he is not around or call the police and ask for them to appear and assist with you leaving, to avoid him doing such things.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok great. Thank you for your advice.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.