Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am a landlord, with a tenant who has threatened me,

Customer Question

I am a landlord, with a tenant who has threatened me, threatened me with lawsuits, and who it has been found out throughout the community is on the VA sex offenders register. I have now had two other tenants in my small building who, on learning this primarily through a channel 5 news story, have given notice to move out, one living across the hall from the tenant. I would like to terminate his lease and force him to move out of the building, as I know I will not be able to re-rent apartments in the building (only 8 apartments total) once perspective tenants learn they would be living across from someone on the sex offender registry. Can you suggest a way forward...?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm sorry, this in in northern Virginia, in Arlington.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: By me? No. I called the VA Sex Offender registry hotline, and was told that the tenant is no longer under survalence, and he can't be harassed or discriminated against. I have no idea what my rights are here as a landlord. The man is a veteran, claims to be disabled (although this is not noticeable), and is receiving financial help with his rent from an agency in Arlington, VA, due to his disability that apparently prevents him from holding a job.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure. I've never confronted this before. The tenant across the hall is feeling threatened by this man (the reason he will be moving out), as the man has threatened him with a lawsuit for harassment, which I don't believe he has done. I've also been threatened with a lawsuit. I made arrangements with him by phone last week to come into his apartment to observe a problem he had written me about, and when I showed up at a time he had agreed I could come to see the problem, he didn't answer the door. When I unlocked his door, he walked out of the building and accosted me with "What are you doing in my apartment???" When I explained that this meeting had been set up 5 hours earlier, he told me he had emailed me to cancel the appointment, and told me coming into someone's apartment like that is how people get hurt, then added "shot." And, he has sworn at me with a string of expletives that were overheard by a neighbor (the one who is now giving a 30-day notice to move). I'm especially concerned that I will not be able to recent apartments in the building when it is disclosed that a new tenant would be living across the hall from someone on the sex offender registry.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is the problem tenant under a fixed term lease or are they month to month?

.

How about the other tenants...month to month or fixed term lease?

.

Did you do a background check on the tenant before he moved in?

.

If so, did any application ask if he had been convicted of any felony?

.

.

thanks