Law Tutor, Esq
Law Tutor, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  N/A
96078538

I have a teenage daughter that was treated at an obgyn

Customer Question

I have a teenage daughter that was treated at an obgyn office for pregnancy..they didn't notify me as the parent until they accrued $3000.00 in fees. Is it legal to treat a m inot without perantal consent in the state of arizona.. I didn't find out she was preagnant until a few weeks ago.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no. also I don't know if she sought medical help there when something could have still been done to stop another teenage pregnancy
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats the overview so far.. I talked to the office girl and she said they would change their policy but that doesn't help this situation now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I am an Arizona licensed Attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist you.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

How old is your daughter? What did they do as far as treatment?

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer (“JA”)! I look forward to assisting you today.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, please consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; the information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) No specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship is formed herein. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Please give me a moment to write a response and identify any additional resources for you. It may take a few minutes because I am typing an answer.

The United States Supreme Court has held that parents have a fundamental right to direct the upbringing and education of their children. The Arizona Legislature passed the Parents’ Bill of Rights in 2010, which provides in addition to other things, that parents have the right to make healthcare decisions for their children and parents have the right to access and review all medical records related to their children. There are exceptions where parental permission is not required. For example, Arizona state law allows a minor to seek treatment for a sexually-transmitted disease or for substance abuse without parental consent or involvement. Also, there is no Arizona law that requires parental consent for prescription medications for minors, including contraceptives. Additionally, federal law permits minors to obtain birth control through federally-funded programs without parental permission. None of these exceptions appear to apply in your case. If the doctor was treating your daughter regarding pregnancy, it appears that parental consent should have been required. You may want to consult with an attorney in your area to see if you have a possible action against the doctor and the facility. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback (click on the 5 stars at the top of your page), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required but is always appreciated.