Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

When a client signs a contract on a suit whereby the law

Customer Question

When a client signs a contract on a suit whereby the law firm agrees to 40% of the settlement and the client gets 60%, In Texas, does the law allow the firm to charge the 40% plus expenses which limits the amount the client receives?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My husband has mes. cancer from abestis,can't sp, and a number of companies were sued , and we received checks along for a couple of years. My husband died. Each check had expenses taken out and sometimes, I would receive less than 50% of the amount that was settled.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

No, a law firm may not unilaterally change the retainer agreement and charge extra for expenses if the original agreement did not provide for expense reimbursement in addition to the contingency fee.

You can sue for breach of contract and also file a complaint with the Texas State Bar.

See the following link to file a grievance against the law firm:

http://cdc.texasbar.com/cdc/Home/Index

Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!