Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

WHEN TWO PEOPLE ARE IN CONVERSATION IN NEVADA IS IT LEGAL TO

Customer Question

WHEN TWO PEOPLE ARE IN CONVERSATION IN NEVADA IS IT LEGAL TO RECORD THE CONVERSATION WITHOUT PERMISION ON BOTH SIDES OF THE CONVERSATION
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

In 1998, the Nevada Supreme Court interpreted the state's wire-tapping statutes to mean that a person cannot record a telephone conversation without the consent of ALL parties to the conversation. Ten years later, the Supreme Court extended that ruling to also apply to oral conversations. The ruling literally makes no sense, and is made only more confusing because the original statutes are still on the books - and the statute clearly says that only one party need to consent to record a conversation for it to be legal. So, while I usually encourage people to look at the statutes and relevant cases where they can, that's not going to help here. The court's decision makes no sense whatsoever. But there it is. It's not legal to record a conversation in Nevada unless everyone consents.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?