Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Due to unforeseen circumstances, ie: my health, person I'm

Customer Question

Due to unforeseen circumstances, ie: my health, person I'm representing health and Matthew. Will the Small Claim allow me an extension to file> He is still in the Life Care Center and his health is getting worse again.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: South Carolina, Beaufort County.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so. I just need some advice as I'm doing this all alone.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have proof of your health condition, such as Doctor statements and medical records to show the court proving you are not capable of continuing the case at the time it is set, you must attach that proof to a motion for continuance and submit it to the small claims court. It is within the judge's sole discretion to grant a continuance or not. So in your motion you have to be very clear as to why your health precludes you from appearing. If the court refuses, you would need to find a way to court or will have to find a way to get a local attorney involved in the case to protect your interests in the case.