Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I lost my license in VT, they denied my application for the

Customer Question

I lost my license in VT, they denied my application for the total abstinence program, and to get my license released from VT to obtain it in NH which is where I live now, NH DMV needs to sign a form and they said they wont. What can I do about this?
JA: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I lost it in VT, now I live in NH
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I submitted the application for the total abstinence program, it was denied, and now I have paperwork that the NH DMV needs to sign and send to VT to release my license, but are unwilling to do so
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that should be it, I dont want what my options are at this point
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, a license is a privilege and not a right, which means that it is up to NH DMV as to whether to allow you to have a license by issuing a release of their hold or not. The only thing you can do is file an appeal in NH DMV for an administrative license hearing and appeal their denial to release the license hold and present evidence of your willingness to comply with their terms in NH to get the license suspension hold removed from your license. This is solely at the discretion of NH and to increase your chances of getting NH to agree to release the hold based on conditions of the total abstinence program or any other terms they require it is best to use a local attorney in NH to file the DMV administrative appeal.