legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

What is a petition to domesticate? Georgia, Yes. I was

Customer Question

What is a petition to domesticate?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes. I was served this morning
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Basically, a judgment from one state needs to be "domesticated" in another state, in order for that second state to have jursidiction to help enforce that judgment.

Under the Constitution, sister states will give "full faith and credit" to other state's judgements, so the courts had to come up with a way to process these so the secondary state will be aware of the judgment. The party wishing to enforce such a judgment would file a petition to "domesticate" the judgment.

The state has adopted different legislation to help simplify this process including the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgment Act, the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act and the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act.

More information is here

So the court will not care to relitigate the case on its merits- rather the court will look to determine that the issuing court's judgment is accurately reflected by the filing party's petition.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.
Thanks!