Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Can i get a real estate license in CA with a felony on my

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Can i get a real estate license in CA with a felony on my record, served 15 months for a Mortgage related crime back in 2008. It was computer tampering with mortgage leads, dissolved down to Conspiracy to Defraud the US.
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: CA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Can i get a real estate license in CA with a felony on my record, served 15 months for a Mortgage related crime back in 2008. It was computer tampering with mortgage leads, dissolved down to Conspiracy to Defraud the US.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at the moment Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I really dont want to go through the process if Im only going to be denied. I have good references and good work history but my record shows a crime that was committed in 2008 and time served in 2015, it was on 10 months on a 15 month sentence but long enough to change my life forever. So I want to try something new.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok, I appreciate that.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

While you won't be automatically disqualified, a criminal conviction is grounds to reject your application at the discretion of the DRE.

You will have to disclose your felony conviction on your application and to make a narrative statement explaining it. The California DRE is particularly concerned about crimes involving violence or theft and fraud. So working with a local lawyer to try to find some explanation that would make the DRE willing to overlook your conviction may be helpful.

Frankly, my educated guess is that you'd be denied and, if so, you'd have to put together some kind of package showing the extent of your rehabilitation since 2008, which would best be assembled by a lawyer, and they you'd have to appeal the denial.

It's not impossible for you to get your license, but it's likely to be a battle.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
wow that's funny I found that same answer on google when I asked that same question. I hoped to get some kind of a real answer for 35 dollars, NOT a copy and paste response that someone else wrote. please refund my money or I'll disclose my finding on the Internet and rip off report.you guys should be ashamed !
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I don't think you'll find the same answer on Google, because I didn't copy it from Google or anywhere else.

Did it ever occur to you that the answer may be similar because it's perfectly correct?

A conviction for felony fraud is a major impediment to any job anywhere, but all the more so when a license is involved unless you can come forward with enough to show complete rehabilitation.

Best of luck going forward. You can contact customer service for a refund of your deposit. They are at***@******.***