RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My fiancé and I were dating over 15 years. we broke up for

Customer Question

hello.My fiancé and I were dating over 15 years. we broke up for about 3 years then got back together in 2015. He dated someone during the time we broke up and they both accumulated bills together but never lived together and now she is trying to sue him after she found out we got engaged. Could I be helpful in this situation or no?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: South Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He has received a mail stating that she is suing him
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Everyone in our town knows that he and I have always been a couple for years.Like I stated we broke up for a few years but got back together and everyone that knows us knew we were together again without even asking were we dating anyone else
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to help her, other then to be supportive to your fiance. Because you are not a party to the lawsuit, you lack "standing" -that is, you lack significant connect to the matter in question.

If your fiance was a co-signer on these bills -such as credit cards, utilities and so forth, he is equally responsible. Indeed, if the bills go unpaid, the creditor themselves could go after one or both co-signers on the debt. Alternatively, his ex could pay the bill and then sue him for his share, which is what it sounds like she is doing now.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed? If so, kindly REPLYand I'm happy to help further! If not, please kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Attorneys on Just Answer are not employees of this site, and are not paid until you leave a positive rating for our time and assistance. Thank you.