Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years
95838073

Thank you! If I file a restraining order against my Brother

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: Thank you! ***** file a restraining order against my Brother and I violated it due to him being physically and mentally ill?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California. I didn't finish my question. Sorry. If he were to be dying would I get in trouble if I wanted to see him??
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm going tomorrow morning, Idon't know if they'llapprove it. It's been emotional and verbal abuse. He has violated the living trust due to not paying bills, doing drugs her and making my life a living hell. I'm scared of him
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He was in a mental ward for 6 days due to almost burning down our house and trying to poison me. they took him in and let him out. He had previously got hit by a car on a bicycle because he was sos drunk he fell asleep ridiing his bike. Cedars Sinai Hospital did a head to toe exam and he is very ill from drug and alcahaol abuse.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thanks for using Just Answer. To clarify, you have a restraining order against your brother but want to know if you choose to visit him if you would be considered in violation as well? Unless the restraining order granted was mutual, then typically, no, you wouldn't get into any trouble. However, if you do go and your restraining order expires and you try to get another one, a judge could be resistant to issuing another one since you are seeking your brother out, despite being scared of him. This is a difficult situation, I know. Where is it you are wanting to visit with him?