Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Can a landlord charge you for utilities that are included in

Customer Question

Can a landlord charge you for utilities that are included in a lease for an apartment?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Additional Hidden fees
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Can you share with me a little more about the situation? If they are included in the lease, what is the landlord trying to ask you for now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good Afternoon, My name is***** am a Military dependent that has recently moved to the state of Maryland and has recently leased an apartment at Century Summerfield @ Morgan Boulevard in Landover MD. The leasing office is charging me hidden fees for services that I have not used yet such as trash, cable, sewer and water. The reason why I have not used these services yet is because I have not completely moved into the apartment because my furniture has not arrived yet due the United States Army transferring my furniture from Hawaii to Maryland.

The lease controls. They can only charge you for what is included in the lease and what you agreed to, when you signed it. If they agree to pay for X, Y and Z, then anything which you are required and obligated to pay for, should not be billed, unless actually used. They said in the lease they would pay for gas and electric but trash pickup and sewage, could go into effect, once you signed the lease and set those things up in your name.