Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My gf and I bought a vehicle and financed part of the

Customer Question

My gf and I bought a vehicle and financed part of the purchase price. We owe much less than it's blue book value. She is dying of cancer and since my credit prevented my name from going on the loan, my name isn't on the title. She doesn't have a will because it's her only asset of value. We contacted the lien holder and they said the only way to add my name to the title is to pay it off. We have the money but it will stress our finances. Is there an alternate route of getting ownership of the vehicle when I pay it off after her death?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

The simplest way would be for her to just have a will and leave it to you in the will. You can go to a site like USLegalforms.com and download a will template for minimal cost and then have her sign it and have it witnessed and it is entirely legally valid.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is still married to her ex but there is no chance of him stepping in when she dies to try and take ownership. If she owed creditors at the time of death would they be able to take claim of the car or her checking account? The checking account is in both of our names.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

She is still married to her ex but there is no chance of him stepping in when she dies to try and take ownership.

.

Yes there is because legally anything that either of them acquire while legally married is a community property asset. So her husband would automatically own half of whatever she owned and vice versa. They would need to actually get divorced in order to cut those ties so he would have no claim to her estate.

.

If she owed creditors at the time of death would they be able to take claim of the car or her checking account? The checking account is in both of our names.

.

They can file a creditor claim against the car since it would be in her estate. But the checking account would go to you directly if you are a joint owner on the account..

.

.

thanks