Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I have had a divorce ( FINDING OF FACT, FINAL DECREE OF

Customer Question

i have had a divorce ( FINDING OF FACT, FINAL DECREE OF DISSOLUTION) in Bozeman Montana on 9th of December 2015. I moved to Napa, CA to be close to my oldest son and daughter in-law. I moved into a low income retirement community which agreed to my application since my ex-husband was to refinance the real estate and then I would file a quit claim deed. Which is in the finding of facts of the Divorce. Now he says he can't afford refinance he doesn't have the money to do so. Has sent me quit claim deed paperwork to sign but my legal obligation to the loan will still be in tact but if I don't sign I will be evicked and if i sign and he is not able to pay on the loan it's my obligation. What can I DO?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon Sandy,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades and I handle family law issues as well as real estate law..

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge of just $5 more I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. You are eligible for low income housing because you showed them the decree which states that he gets the house on refinance?

2. What happens to the property if he does not get it refinanced according to the decree?

3. Were you only obligated to quit claim the property to him in the event of a refinance?

4. Is the property under water or is there equity in it?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.

Doug