LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I need to know where I can get paperwork to get a DNA

Customer Question

I need to know where I can get paperwork to get a DNA paternity test and where to file in Newton NC Catawba County. I have tried finding a lawyer but there not interested unless I need more.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Newton NC Catawba County
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No she said she would do it Monday on friday but when I went to get here today she changed her mind.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I think that you misunderstand the paternity determination process.

Only a judge can order that the mother produce the baby for DNA testing in order to either rule you out as the father or find that you are the father. You must file a Petition for the Determination of Paternity in the court in the county where the baby is residing. Only then can you get the court to order that a DNA test be done.

Here is a link to the law that you need to deal with in your quest to determine paternity: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByArticle/Chapter_49/Article_3.pdf

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug