ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

How before doctors can get rid of old patient medical

Customer Question

how long before doctors can get rid of old patient medical records?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: ca
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: maybe
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

In California, there are several statutory authorities that specifically regulate the retention of medical records. For instance, a physician who treats Medi-Cal patients must retain the records of Medi-Cal patients for three years after the date that the last service was rendered under the Medi-Cal program, while physicians who are Qualified Medical Examiners in Workers’ Compensation cases must retain all medical-legal reports for five years from the date of the employee’s evaluation. A physician in California is only required by law to retain a minor’s record until the patient reaches age nineteen (19). And the retention period is 2 years for patients insured by a Knox-Keene health plan. MIEC recommends 8-10 years.

Note these are legally required record retention periods. Many doctors will keep them longer.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 24 days ago.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.