Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I'm trying to find out what a landlord must provide for a

Customer Question

I'm trying to find out what a landlord must provide for a tenant. I have a new landlord and he said he will provide snow removal.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: New Hampshire
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, it just some things that he put into a lease I'm suppose to sign.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just want to know what a landlord must provide for a tenant
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** *****'m not sure about signing new lease.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

As a matter of law, the landlord has to provide a habitable dwelling the meets all minimum safety and housing codes, but that is about it. There is no legal obligation under the law in NH for a landlord to provide for snow removal, but if they put that in the written lease, then they are contractually obligated to do so.

.

So they have to provide a dwelling that has secure doors and windows, working plumbing and water, a working heating source and safe electrical service. The premises must be fit for human habitation and not have any serious housing code violation. But the law doesn't impose a greater obligation than that...If you have a specific question about something, just let me know and I can address it...thanksBarrister
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

So you as a prospective tenant should find out who pays for the hot water, utilities, parking, snow removal, trash removal, and other costs before the lease is signed. If the landlord and tenant agree to change anything in the printed lease, the change should be made in writing and both tenant and landlord should put their initials beside the change.

.

.

thanks

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello again, Did you have any further questions that I can help with?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The landlord provides heat/hot water. He also said that he will not provide snow removal. I believe we'll have to put trash to curb.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Ok, that is definitely something you will have to think about considering how much snow normally falls.

.

Did you have any other questions?

,

If not, if you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

Thanks much