Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

This email is in my spam folder. Is this for real? Dear

this email is in my... Show More
this email is in my spam folder. Is this for real?
Dear THERESA LEONARD,
This is a reminder email about your past dues with our company from September 2012. Our records indicate that you have an outstanding balance with the following invoice overdue:
Past Due Date: 16 November, 2012
Principal Balance: $400.00
Total Interest: $259.15
Paid Amount: 131.83
Outstanding Balance: $527.32
We are notifying you regarding your loan with 24/7 Loans Inc. In the event that you fail to voluntary satisfy our requirements for payment of your debts to 24/7 Loans Inc., we will have to turn to the court with the purpose of enforced collection of the debt, which may entail additional expenses for you, for example, the expenses in the amount of state duty, the cost of representative’s services for the compearance, the compensatory interest for the use on detention of money for each day of delay, attorney’s fees, court fees and the execution fee. If you need further documents, please provide us your fax number or reply us on email. Legal action will be taken to enforce your obligations unless we receive good faith payment within a week. This can result in additional costs of collection that you may be required to pay. Collection proceedings may also hurt your credit rating.
You have opportunity to make payment arrangements if you wish to solve this issue out of court. If you will go through court, you should pay more than $2000.00.
In case of denial, we must issue an Earnings Withholding Order to collect your delinquent court-ordered debt. We will instruct your employer or social security department to deduct up to 50 percent of your disposable earnings for each pay period.
If an immediate payment in full will create an undue hardship contact us immediately. We can modify payment arrangements when a hardship exists. However, we cannot reduce the total balance due. To discuss a financial hardship, please email us back. If you want to make payment arrangements, make sure to pay at proper time.
The total outstanding amount under your name is $527.32. You can make payment through secure payments if you want to resolve it. We provide you a payment plan below. Please notify us if you want to change payment plan.
1. $132.00 – 10/28/16
2. $132.00 – 11/11/16
3. $132.00 – 11/25/16
4. $131.32 – 12/09/16
A discount of 15% can be offered if customer want to settle this issue within 7 days with a full payment. There can be a change in the payment schedule as per your pay dates. We are waiting for your reply regarding your intention to clear this outstanding balance under your name within given time. Also, if you want to pay in full, you need to pay only $400.00 today. If you want to stop legal proceedings, you need to start your payments from this Friday. You must pay a good faith payment from this Friday.
Sincerely,
Alex Wilson/Legal Counselor
24/7 Loans Inc.
1245 S. LA BREA AVE
Los Angeles, CA 90019
Submitted: 1 month ago.
replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

This is probably not real. The ways you can tell are as follows:

1. "The cost of representative's services for the compearance" is an unnecessarily wordy way of saying "legal fees." No one talks like that, at least not in the United States. And it's redundant, because they say "attorney's fees" right after that.
  2. The amount they're asking for is a Small Claims matter, and they're writing from a state that doesn't allow lawyers in small claims. They should know that.
  3. I don't even know what they're talking about when they say "the expenses in the amount of state duty". The whole thing reads like they used Google translate on it.
  4. Texas does not allow wage garnishment, thus it is illegal for them to threaten to issue an Earnings Withholding Order. It's a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
  5. While the California Bar association has several lawyers with names similar to Alex Wilson, none of them are in Los Angeles. It's actually illegal to represent yourself as a lawyer when you're not one.
  6. That address is an old Subway restaurant.

Just delete the email. The statute of limitations is only 4 years, so even if they were correct in what they were asking for, they would be nearly out of time to sue for it.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago.

You could try pulling a current copy of your credit report to confirm that there's nothing on it, if that would give you more peace of mind. But this is a pretty common scam. A person can get a free copy of their credit report once per year from www.annualcreditreport.com, or you can sign up for www.creditkarma.com. There is no credit card required for either service.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.