Law Tutor, Esq
Law Tutor, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  N/A
96078538

I have been asked by a business associate of mine who lives

Customer Question

I have been asked by a business associate of mine who lives in Brazil to bring a personal computer from Dell he just bought in the US to Brazil this Saturday when I fly out of Ohio to Sao Paulo. I have Global entry status in the US but do I need to have the PC out of the shipping box when I go through security? I realize this may not be a legal question so let me know who I need to ask.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that I am aware. He simple purchased a laptop PC from Dell and had it shipped to me in the US.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to be sure I can do this or I ship it to him to avoid any hassle. We work for DHL tax so no need to be stupid.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ohio and why would employment law come into this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer (“JA”)! I look forward to assisting you today.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, please consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; the information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) No specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship is formed herein. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Please give me a moment to write a response and identify any additional resources for you. It may take a few minutes because I am typing an answer.

Unfortunately, you will be asked to remove the laptop from the box and place it in the bin for security screening. Here is a link to TSA's Security Screening information. The TSA uses millimeter wave advanced imaging technology and they will need the laptop to be taken out of the box. It is my understanding that there is no way around this. If you try to pack the laptop in your luggage that you check in, TSA may confiscate the laptop and you may never see it again. To alleviate any problems, you may want to ship the item instead or just go ahead and remove the laptop from the box. Also, to confirm, you may want to call the airline, but the TSA rules will govern. I know this is not the answer you were hoping for, but please rate my answer well for providing you with an honest, professional response.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback (click on the 5 stars at the top of your page), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required but is always appreciated.