Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My ex-wife is dating a person that I have my doubts about.

Customer Question

My ex-wife is dating a person that I have my doubts about. She refuses to give me his name, and I think I have every right to ask because my daughter will be spending time with him
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Kansas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Her mother says she is dating this guy and I asked her and she also told me that it was none of my business, My ex-wife demanded the same from me in my relationships and I complied because I have nothing to hide.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: ok
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

.

I agree she should tell you, but unless there is something in the divorce decree or custody agreement that requires one parent to disclose that information to the other, then there is not any legal obligation to do so. What one party does in their private life is generally not subject to scrutiny or approval by their ex.

.

However if you have verifiable concerns about the person your ex is seeing regarding the safety of your daughter, your recourse here is to file a motion to modify the custody agreement so as to require either party to disclose who they are dating at the time. I don't know if it would be ordered by the judge as that is a fairly serious infringement on a person's right to privacy. But if you can tie it to something negative, like the person is a felon or a drug user or an alcoholic or someone with a long criminal record, and they are going to be around your child, then the judge may rule that the child's safety trumps the mother's right to privacy in a situation like this.

.

.

thanks