Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

On 10/18 I went to a UPS Store to send a friend money that I

Customer Question

Hi there, on 10/18 I went to a UPS Store to send a friend money that I owed him in the amount of $530. The only people that could have known there was currency in that letter were the two employees and myself. The letter made it to my friend minus the currency. The letter was tampered with and an attempt was made to reseal it. The pilfered packaging is being sent back to me. I spoke to the owner, he was absolutely no help and even suggested I kept the money. He also told me (which is untrue) That It's illegal to send money through the USPS. Do I have any recourse ??
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sac. California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. It's not that you wouldn't have recourse if you could prove what happened -- you could sue the UPS Store in small claims, for example, or even report it to law enforcement for investigation and prosecution. My main concern is evidence. Let's say, for example, that I was the judge and hearing your case. How would I know that your friend didn't receive the letter and currency, and then lie about having not received the money? How would I know that the letter contained the amount of money that you claim was inside the envelope? If you have the evidence to prove what happened, then you would have legal standing to take the matter to court. It's just not clear to me, based on the short summary of information, whether all the evidence that you would need is available.

​Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please feel free to leave a rating once you are completely finished. (It is the only way that I may be credited for my answers). Thank you!