LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Uber accidentally charged some of my rides to my

Customer Question

Hi,Uber accidentally charged some of my rides to my girlfriend's debit card, which was previously linked to a group in my accout. Moreover, the route of my trips to her email, revealing way more about my whereabouts that I wanted her to know.What is an appropriate response to the situation?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Can you clarify what your issue and concern is? How was this accidentally charged? I ask because you have a user name and password ***** you log in and use it, having them use the credit card that is on file with your account? You shared there was a group, so I am hoping you can clarify this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Uber provide a service called "UberFamily", which allows you to be part of a group where all rides are charged to a single person. I used to be in one of this groups with my girlfriend, and her credit card was linked with that group.Recently, as the relation with her broke down, we deleted this group, and I started only using Uber with my credit card. Uber erroneously charged some of my recent trip to her, and sent her information about my trips. Uber was supposed to charge my credit card for the trips, and Uber was not supposed to share my personal information about my trips with anyone else.Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thank you and please allow me a moment

And can you share with me what your question is and what relief you seek. I understand she learned of the trips but what is your concern and how have they responded after you contacted them?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I haven't contacted them yet, since I wanted to reach legal advice first. My personal relation with my (ex) girlfriend broke down because of the information that was released.I assume this is a pretty serious violation of my privacy, therefore I am considering to sue them.

I do understand. When it comes to privacy, there is certain information which needs to be safeguarded and protected against. For example, social security numbers, medical records, banking information, etc. However, your destinations are not necessarily something that is privileged and confidential information, since you are using a 3rd party driver to take you there and your destinations can be seen by the public. I completely understand how and why this may have caused the breakdown of the relationship but from a civil standpoint and suing, I think it would be very difficult to put a value on the damages suffered. You can certainly complain but to retain an attorney and try and sue, the burden would be on you, to show the damages suffered. It is next to impossible to put a value on the relationship and if the location is what lead to the breakup and it was a decision that you made, you may complain and try and get credit from them but I think it will be hard to recover through the courts.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!