Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

Just looking for info on how to write a letter to a judge

Customer Question

Just looking for info on how to write a letter to a judge for lawsuit I have against me for a cash advance from 3 years ago that I was unable to pay.
JA: What are the exact charges, and where does the matter stand as of now?
Customer: No charges they just want me to pay 2000 on a 300 dollar loan and I have just been petioned to go to court in November.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes it has been filed with the court.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon. A judge isn't allowed to read letters related to his/her case. That sort of communication is called an "ex parte" communication, and it isn't permitted because it is generally a violation of due process to allow one side to speak to the judge without the other side present. You can't send a letter to the judge to explain your situation for the same reason that the other side can't send a letter to the judge to try and influence the outcome of the case. You can present your side and any evidence, arguments, and explanation at your regularly scheduled court dates when they come up.

​Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The summons state I can file a written answer and send a copy to the plaintiff's attorney on or before my court date. Can I send the letter and info to both?

Filing an written answer isn't quite the same thing as sending a letter to the judge, but if you do file something and serve the other party's attorney, then the judge can review what you've filed on or before your court date.