How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 35770
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a health care clinic receive non profit status? And if

Customer Question

Can a health care clinic receive non profit status? And if so, what is required? Is there a federal government website to help?
JA: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?
Customer: I just know that there is a federal 501 3C (or something) status applied to non profits, I do not know with whom it is registered. IRS perhaps?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, a healthcare clinic can register with the IRS as a non-profit. The process is a bit complex and is best conducted through the use of a business attorney who can file an application for formation of a Non-Profit corporation with the IRS. It is the IRS which certifies non-profits.

Essentially, you must first establish the corporation that will own the clinic and once that is complete you will apply to the IRS for Federal 501(c)(3) Tax Exemption for the corporation. As I suggested this is a complex change to make, especially if you are looking to convert a formerly for profit company/corporation to non-profit status, and a local corporate formation attorney is a real must for the smooth transition.

To give you a general idea of the process, this website does a good job:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.


Is there anything else I can assist you with today?


Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.


It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,


Related Legal Questions