Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I had a few quick question my wife has filed for a divorce

Customer Question

Hi i had a few quick question my wife has filed for a divorce .And she has my car at her house the car was never in both of our names it has always been in my name .She has told me she will not give me my car back that she is keeping for things that she has bought me since we have been together.can she bye law do this .
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ca.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no not yet. she has said she is filing soon .
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this a free service .
JA: The Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: how much .
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

She can't keep the car if it is in your name unless a judge awards it to her. So you have every legal right as the record owner to take the car and do whatever you want to with it.

.

If you don't have a key, you can take the title to the dealer and they can make you a new key based on the VIN.

.

.'

thanks