Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

If a parking citation does have a DUE DATE printed on only

Customer Question

If a parking citation does have a DUE DATE printed on only "pay noe" is it legal for the citation issuer to penalize if the citation was payed in a reasonable time?
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?
Customer: California. street parking Town of Los Gatos
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't know. I paid the citation by money order with the citation number on it. I received a letter from the city saying I didn't pay it and to pay a lrager fine. I have a copy of the money order with the date on it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only if the city can arbitrarily date a due date on a ticket that has no due date printed on it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you paid the fine and you have proof of payment, then you need to dispute the penalty. You need to send in the copy (not your only copy) of your payment and citation and tell them you dispute owing any other money. Next step if they deny your appeal, is to file for a hearing in the administrative court for getting it removed. If you paid within time to pay, then the court would dismiss the penalties.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.