FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
89910983

My bank account was just levied for child support that is in

Customer Question

My bank account was just levied for child support that is in areas.. I have been paying my support monthly and thought they couldn't do that but they NY state child support said that if you have arrears they can still levy my account .. My big question is , CAN CHILD SUPPORT LEVY ANOTHER BANK ACCOUNT I HAVE AS WELL?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NEW YORK
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Can you explain that please
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that i have another bank account and Im worried if child support can levy that one as well
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back in a few minutes.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I worked in Child support enforcement in another state at one time and all they did was do bank levies and take away driver's licenses. It's not a good way to get child support and it ends up hurting people. I really hated that so I understand your frustration.

The only way that they can levy the money from the other account is if they can find it. If somehow it's listed in someone else's name and not in yours at all, then they won't find it. But if you have your name on it, even if it's a joint account, they can hit it, which stinks, I know.

Do you have another account with your name on it?

If there is any way for you to close the account and have someone else's name on it, then they can't hit it but if it has your name on it they can. They have to find it but usually they get the information on every account someone owns. If you empty your account, they will probably see that, so as long as there isn't too much money in there and you want to close the account, you can do that. If there's a lot of money in there, closing the account looks really bad because then they think you're trying to avoid child support.

Does this answer your question?

Please feel free to ask me anything based on this question. I'm a NY lawyer so I can help you.

Please let me know if you have any more questions as I am happy to answer them.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars) and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find a lawyer. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated. Thanks so much!

A follow-up question is free if it is based on this one, while a new question would need a new post. Also you may make a copy of this transcript so you know what to do.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you!

Thanks for letting me help you tonight!

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Thanks!

NYFamilyLawyer