Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I have a very small rental house I rented to a guy and his

Customer Question

I have a very small rental house I rented to a guy and his girlfriend Month to Month basis.The woman is kinda handicapped weighs a lot her knees hurt her and she has athsma.She called me and left a message saying I need to build her a wheelchair ramp so she can bring her scooter in the house because she needs to start riding the transiet bus.This house is only 674 sqare feet it is not handicap accesible.What are my rights her?Do I have to build her a ramp?Or can i just ask them to move out with a 60 day notice?
I live in spokane valley washington
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

The ADA doesn't require you to rebuild your house for someone who has a disabilty. They rented the house in its current condition and they take it in its "as is" condition.

.'

However, the ADA does require you to allow them to make their own ramp or other accessibility improvements at their own cost, but you can force them to remove them when they move or charge them to do so.

.

As for terminating their tenancy, if they are month to month, you can legally terminate their tenancy with a 20 day notice under WA law. See Wash. Rev. Code Ann. §§ 59.18.200, 59.18.140.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks