Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I left the husband in MI moved to CA, now husband took out a

Customer Question

I left the husband in MI moved to CA, now husband took out a loan on the house. He says he wants to buy me out, is offering less than half of what the house was appraised at. i have a job but is only three days a week, my son allows me to live in his house, my income is limited.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 month ago.

Hello there --

-

Because you did not sign for the loan in MI, they cannot hold you responsible for that loan (you must sign the paperwork to obligate yourself to paying on this loan and because you did not do that you are not responsible for it and you cannot be pursued for it). If you live in CA for more than 6 months, it becomes your state of residence so long as you change your driver license and address to your CA address. Once you do that, you can use the CA court to file for divorce in the county where you are living with your son. The divorce forms in CA are quite easy to understand and you can get them online or you can go to your local county court clerk's office and ask them for the forms packet for a divorce, In CA, they have a person who works at the court who assists persons who cannot afford an attorney like yourself with the paperwork -- the person is called the FAMILY COURT FACILITATOR -- so when you go to the court you should ask them to speak to this person and they will give you the contact information and you can set up an appointment to get the paperwork completed and filed and they can assist you in serving him in MI with the divorce paperwork,

-

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section so I will be given credit for my time assisting you this evening. I do not receive any credit from Just ANswer for helping you unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star above before you leave the website. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

-

MARY

-